06 September 2006

Yesternight... Pearl Jam !!!


I decided awhile ago not to attend any of the Pearl Jam 2006 concerts. The last time in Restelo was only so-so and I still haven't inspected their most recent album.

Yet, both nights were sold-outs.

At the last minute, a friend's friend had to sell his ticket as he couldn't make and I decided to give it a go. mike, stone, jeff, eddie & matt It was my last day of vacations and what a way to have it.

I was sensing a different feeling of nostalgia, still remembering the Cascais show some 10 years ago... and then, it was the best ever concert for me... 110% pure energy, Eddie diving over the audience, everything happened that night (they even appeared supprting the first act and disguised as special guests).

But now, a different story alltogether.

Setlist:
Severed Hand, Corduroy, Hail Hail, Save You, World Wide Suicide, Dissident, Even Flow, Army Reserve, Whipping, State Of Love And Trust, I Got Id, Garden, Do The Evolution, Sad, Daughter (It's Ok), Insignificance, Black, Rearviewmirror
Encore 1:
(Improvisation over "Portugal, Portugal"), Come Back, I Believe In Miracles, Big Wave, Once, Footsteps, Alive
Encore 2:
Wasted (reprise), Better Man, Smile, Why Go, Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

The set begins with the presentation of the band's most recent album (and last?), and then flows beautifully at full pace, but in a very different fashion from the night before. That's obvious, as a respectable percentage of the audience was there for both concerts.

So far, I've heard/read that the second night was a little better, in terms of repertoire and its balance. The addition on "State of Love And Trust", the crowd singing so high that Eddie would simply take a step back and play the guitar while enjoying, the offering of a cavaquinho, the tidbit of Jimi Hendrix' "Little Wing" in the middle of the "Yellow Ledbetter" guitar solo, the playing of Neil Young's classic "Rockin' In The Free World" with all the lights on, Eddie talking in portuguese (even if he had to read it)... and of course, the energy put into every milisecond of the show.

rocking for a free world...

For me, Eddie and Mike were perfect. They are somehow in a bigger spotlight than the rest of the guys and they accept that role without overshaddowing them. Eddie is rarely (only) singing... he's always performing, ergo giving his all. Mike is thin (I had seen him on TV and mags, but live confirmation meant something) and his energy is always a big plus, as much as his playing. What to say about Matt?... Everything one could say is an understatement as the man plays like hell and still has that Soundgarden low profile approach. Jeff was Jeff and Stone was Stone... in their (own) worlds, focused and 101% symbiotic with the rest of the guys.

My personal notes:
- few noticed that the first act entered the stage to the (recorded) sound of Van Halen's "Eruption", the classic 1978 Edward Van Halen solo;
- lucky me I didn't have to listen to "Last Kiss" again... I can't seem to like it or maybe I'm just fed up with it;
- lucky me I got to see them performing "Once", definately one of my favorite songs along with "Light Years" (which I obviously wished they could/would play);
- lucky me I saw them in each of their portuguese travels...
- there seems to be the doubt if the band will retire after this tour; recent interviews and the band's atitude seem to lead us into that, and of course Eddie saying "...we haven't played this song since Cascais 96 and we want to play it one last time in Portugal..." and his goodbye: "...see you in a better world !..."; hope they keep on rocking for a long long time;
- unlucky me that didn't get to see/hear them playing "Jeremy", "Elderly Woman...", "Why Go", "Wishlist", "I Am Mine" and "Life Wasted";
- stupid me, I should have attended both shows !!!

Links:
- Sep, 4th ... show / forum;
- Sep, 5th ... show / forum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home