10 December 2011

Unnatural


A long time ago, I was extremely into conceptual and digital music, especially of Vangelis, Jean-Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk and Mike Oldfield... albums like "Albedo 0.39", "Tubular Bells", "Les Chants Magnetiques" (the English title would suggest "Champs", not "Chants"), "Chariots of Fire", "Trans-Europe Express", "Revolutions" or "The Friends Of Mr Cairo" will be forever in my ear and mind.



When I developed the interest of guitar-oriented music, that seed developed and I became especially interested in instrumental songs, such as Steve Vai's "Touching Tongues" or "For The Love of God", Joe Satriani's "Always With Me, Always With You" or "Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness", Eric Johnson's "Manhattan" or "Cliffs of Dover" and even Edward Van Halen's solo moments like "Baluchiterium" or "Neworld" (thought I'd write "Eruption", hey?)...

A third coming happened when I was introduced to chill-out music, especially the work of Zero 7 and Air... these artist stayed true to their origins while pushing the limits and breaking new boundaries.

Going back to the conceptual and (...), I've had thoughts and dreams about absolutely nonsensical events, but considering that we're only absolutely free in our mind, I can draw what I call "strings of coherence" in them and, ultimately, some strange and unrreal/surreal strings of words come out.

This one's just that.
I have the "strings of coherence" present.

"A distinct feeling takes over with the fading light,
A monochrome snapshot, not black nor white,
Colours dreamed in the mind I dwell (on),
"I loved you then, my Michele!"
Words I expel.

It grows on me like a sunset shadow, in the twilight,
There's an empathic struggle before the night,
And the numb feeling draws my prison cell,
There's comfort...
I'm unwell.

There might even not be any words to say or write,
A different story is to be said tonight,
The heat felt... a scent to smell,
This is all real...
(The) shotgun shell ('au natural').

The message is not whole,
Felt, known, lived...
Unnatural.

Only when a sunflower escapes from the sunlight,
There and then, a mercenary forfeits a fight,
This void has no parallel.
It is all unreal...
Not natural.

These words are no parable,
Uttered, perceived...
Unnatural.
"

      - in "Unnatural", since April 'til today.

Labels:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home